Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
A group of rapists and date rapists in prison were interviewed on what they look for in a potential victim and here are some interesting facts:
1) The first thing men look for in a potential victim is hairstyle. They are most likely to go after a woman with a ponytail, bun, braid or other hairstyle that can easily be grabbed. They are also likely to go after a woman with long hair. Women with short hair are not common targets. (Well, this is some serious motivation to start DOING my hair and not wearing it in a ponytail)
2) The second thing men look for is clothing. They will look for women who's clothing is easy to remove quickly. Many of them carry scissors around specifically to cut clothing. (layers! layers is good!)
3) They also look for women on their cell phone searching through their purse, or doing other activities while walking because they are off-guard and can be easily overpowered. (smaller purse, bigger keys, got it!)
4) Men are most likely to attack & rape in the early morning, between 5: 00a.m. and 8:30a.m. (sleep in)
5) The number one place women are abducted from/attacked is grocery store parking lots. Number two: office parking lots/garages. Number three: public restrooms. (hold it until you get home)
6) The thing about these men is that they are looking to grab a woman and quickly move her to another location where they don't have to worry about getting caught.
7) Only 2% said they carried weapons because rape carries a 3-5 year sentence but rape with a weapon is 15-20 years. (ok so this one IS a little comforting)
8) If you put up any kind of a fight at all, they get discouraged because it only takes a minute or two for them to realize that going after you isn't worth it because it will be time-consuming. (note to self: take self defense class)
9) These men said they would not pick on women who have umbrellas, or other similar objects that can be used from a distance, in their hands.
Keys are not a deterrent because you have to get really close to the attacker to use them as a weapon. So, the idea is to convince these guys you're not worth it. (always carry pepper spray)
10) Several defense mechanisms he taught us are: If someone is following behind you on a street or in a garage or with you in an elevator or stairwell, look them in the face and ask them a question, like what time is it, or make general small talk: "I can't believe it is so cold out here," "we're in for a bad winter." Now you've seen their face and could identify them in a line-up; you lose appeal as a target. Of course, in some cases this might make them more determined to get you. (start talking to strangers)
11) If someone is coming toward you, hold out your hands in front of you and yell STOP or STAY BACK! Most of the rapists this man talked to said they'd leave a woman alone if she yelled or showed that she would not be afraid to fight back. Again, they are looking for an
EASY target. (yell at people who happen to be going in the same direction as you)
12) If you carry pepper spray (this instructor was a huge advocate of it and carries it with
him wherever he goes), yell I HAVE PEPPER SPRAY and holding it out will be a deterrent. (shopping list: pepper spray)
13) If someone grabs you , you can't beat them with strength but you can by outsmarting them If you are grabbed around the waist from behind, pinch the attacker either under the arm (between the elbow and armpit) OR in the upper inner thigh VERY VERY HARD . One woman in a class this guy taught told him she used the underarm pinch on a guy who was trying to date rape her and was so upset she broke through the skin and tore out muscle strands - the guy needed stitches. Try pinching yourself in those places as hard as you can stand it - it hurts. (pinch pinch pinch the armpit!)
14) After the initial hit, always GO for the GROIN. I know from a particularly unfortunate experience that if you slap a guy's parts it is extremely painful. You might think that you'll anger the guy and make him want to hurt you more, but the thing these rapists told our instructor is that they want a woman who will not cause a lot of trouble. Start causing trouble and he's out of there. (make a scene by hitting his groin)
15) When the guy puts his hands up to you, grab his first two fingers and bend them back as far as possible with as much pressure pushing down on them as possible .The instructor did it to me without using much pressure, and I ended up on my knees and both knuckles cracked audibly. (good luck remembering that!!)
16) Of course the things we always hear still apply. Always be aware of your surroundings, take someone with you if you can and if you see any odd behavior, don't dismiss it, go with your instincts!!! (better to be paranoid than sorry!)
You may feel a little silly at the time, but you'd feel much worse if the guy really was trouble.
1 Tip from Tae Kwon Do: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!
2. Learned this from a tourist guide in New Orleans. If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you....chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc.., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc.) DON'T DO THIS! The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side and put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.
a. If someone is in the car with a gun to your head DO NOT DRIVE OFF, repeat: DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you. If the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.
5 A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot or parking garage:
A.) Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat.
B.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
C.) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.
IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)
6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!)
7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times. And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ.. RUN, preferably in a zigzag pattern!
8. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP! It may get you raped or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well-educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked for "help" into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
9. Another Safety Point: Someone just told me that her friend heard a crying baby on her porch the night before last, and she called the police because it was late and she thought it was weird. The police told her "Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door." The lady then said that it sounded like the baby had crawled near a window, and she was worried that it would crawl to the street and get run over. The policeman said, "We already have a unit on the way, whatever you do, DO NOT open the door." He told her that they think a serial killer has a baby's cry recorded and uses it to coax women out of their homes thinking that someone dropped off a baby. He said they have not verified it, but have had several calls by women saying that they hear baby's cries o outside their doors when they're home alone at night. Please pass this on and DO NOTopen the door for a crying baby. This should be taken seriously because the Crying Baby theory was mentioned on America's Most Wanted this past Saturday when they profiled the serial killer in Louisiana.
Posted by Brittany at 9:49 AM
Monday, February 25, 2008
These above are chipboard tags and pieces. They are textured and some are glittery, by Heidi Grace. Only $1!!!! These are like $5 in the stores.
These above are cardstock stickers that go with the chipboard pieces. Only $1! Usually around $3-$4 in stores.
These Cardstock Halloween stickers are super cute. Very muted colors. I'm excited. Once again...only $1!!!
Posted by Brittany at 7:27 PM
Saturday, February 23, 2008
Posted by Brittany at 5:23 PM
Friday, February 22, 2008
I just want to say. Don't make fun! This is the HIGHEST score I have ever gotten and I am SO proud of myself. Usually I end up with about 1,500. Something went right this time. Kasen did so well too! 2,200 ALL by himself! He was SO proud as well!
While we were in the Dumbo line and I was taking pics of Brielle, Kasen got jealous and ran over and started getting in front of the camera. I told him to back up and smile and I would take a picture of him. He is getting SO much better at smiling NORMAL on demand.
This is my sister Tiffany and my dad. We don't get to see Tiffany and her family that often and when my dad does, he just lights up because he misses her so much.
I had Kasen all set up nicely next to Goofy and when I said SMILE-Say Cheese, Goofy went for this extravagant pose and it was ALL about him, it was really weird. Shouldn't it be about Goofy and my kid?
Goofy and Kasen and Brielle. I made sure not to say "CHEESE" I didn't want any awkward posing on goofy's behalf.
Our first ride of the day was Star Tours. It was Kasen's first time on the ride. I usually try to explain to Kasen in a pleasant way, what the ride is going to be about. I don't ever tell him a ride is going to be scary or frightening. I point out the things that I think he MIGHT find scary and turn it into something cool for him. But I don't ever say the word scary. This is Kasen and his cousin Thomas (8). Kasen thinks Thomas is his "best friend in the whole entire world." Thomas was trying to explain Star Tours in a non scary way to Kasen and comfort him by putting his arm around him. It was seriously SO cute. He did that quite a bit throughout the day.
This is Riley (10), my dad and Danielle (15). I agree Ali, I think Danielle needs to model. I can't believe how dang cute my niece is! Riley is such a character, he is going to make the best daddy when he gets older, always looking out for Kasen.
This is Brielle licking her lollipop. She LOVED it. When she licked she would like close her eyes like she was savoring every little taste, it was totally cute.
Posted by Brittany at 12:07 PM
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Ed, Tiffany, Danielle, Hayden, Thomas, Riley
The Christiansen Family
My Sweet Little Boy
Posted by Brittany at 5:30 PM
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
Posted by Brittany at 8:16 PM
Sunday, February 3, 2008
Posted by Brittany at 7:30 PM