Tuesday, June 16, 2009

1 Week Old

Well I am sad to say my sweet little boy is 1 week old today...ALREADY! How can that be? Really. How is that? It goes by way too fast.

My parents left yesterday and Jer is back to work now. Today is going better than expected so far. I am feeling a little better everyday, but the bags under my eyes are getting a little more defined everyday. It's all worth it though. I love waking up with Quinn and just holding him and watching him.
So as for the labor part....

I was scheduled to be induced on Monday June 8th at 3pm. We checked into the hospital and things finally got started around 5. They checked me and put my IV in. I was still at a 3 and 75%. Same as the week before at my appt. After getting a hold of the Dr and getting the orders of what he wanted to do, it was now 6pm. The Dr wanted to use cervidil which is a medicine to help thin the cervix. They said it could take up to 12 hours for it to work and that I would feel some cramps with it. I was really discouraged. I just assumed that they would take me in and hook me right up to the pitocin. I was wrong. The nurse also told me that the cervidil could cause me to go into labor on my own at which point they would remove the cervidil and start the pit. I was really hoping for that.

At about 8pm the cramps were really bad. One CONSTANT cramp/contraction that wouldn't let up. It had been that way for about 2 hours since they inserted it. I finally asked for some sort of pain meds. She checked me and said I was a 4.5 and that I was having some contractions but they were going to keep the cervidil in for now. They didn't want to give me my epidural yet because they wanted to see more progress on the cervidil first. The nurse told me I could have staydol through my IV. I agreed seeing as how I was suffering...I had never had this medicine before. Within SECONDS I could feel the meds coming over my body from left to right. My whole body. It was the WORST feeling ever. I started to panic because it was taking over my body. I couldn't see straight. I started to get extremely dizzy. I started to cry and panic more. It sounds lame, but it was literally taking over my whole body. I felt claustrophobic and that was not ok with me. I started to get extremely nauseous. I couldn't keep my eyes open or even lift my head for about the next 2 hours. It was AWFUL! The nurse said she had never seen someone react this way to it, of course, and that she was sorry. Wasn't her fault. I just wanted it OUT of me. I just had to sit it out. Around 10pm, it was FINALLY starting to wear off, even though the nurse said it only lasts in your system about 45 minutes, and the Dr came in to check on me before going home for the night. He checked me and said I was still at a 4.5, but that my contractions were consistent enough on my own that he took the cervidil out and let me labor on my own.

At this point the Dr told me I was able to get an epidural which I didn't hesitate for. Around 10:30 I was starting to feel a bit more comfortable again.

Unfortunately, they let me labor on my own ALL night long at a 4.5 with on top of each other contractions. Again, unfortunately, when I was checked again at 6am I was still at a 4.5...bummer! The nurse said the Dr should be around for his morning rounds soon and we would wait for him to see what he wanted to do next. The Dr came around 6:30am and decided to break my water. WHAT A RELIEF!! They also decided to start me on pit. Finally, things were starting to happen and progress the way I had thought they would at 3pm the prior day!

Around 8am the nurse came and checked me and I was at a 6! It was working. Yaay! Around around 9:20 or so she checked me again and I was at an 8. At this point I called Autumn who was picking up Kasen and my mom and dropping her off at the hospital and told her to speed. That I wanted my mom there. I think I gave poor Autumn a heart attack. My mom too for that matter. She was so worried she was going to miss it and poor Autumn was so worried she was going to make my mom miss it. Around 9:40 I started feeling tons of pressure and knew it was time to push. I called the nurse in and she checked me and I was right...a 10! Ready to go. I text Autumn again and told her to SPEED SO FAST. Poor thing. lol....The nurse paged the Dr and told him to come over. She gave me 2 practice pushes to see how fast this would go, and after went to page the Dr again to tell him to hurry over. My mom ended up getting there a few minutes before the Dr. Once she got there I had to sit and wait with my legs in stirrups trying not to push. Thankfully the epidural makes it a lot easier not to push when you know you need to. The Dr came and I pushed 3 contractions worth and out came my sweet sweet baby boy. Quinn. He was born at 10:04am. I cried and cried seeing him come out and knowing that he was here. Finally here. Mine all mine! It seemed so surreal. It was an awesome feeling. I felt so blessed. I got to hold him on my chest for about 30 seconds until they whisked him away. He had a lot of fluid in his lungs making it hard fo him to breathe so they had to give him oxygen for a few minutes and suck out the fluid. It was about 30 more minutes before I was able to hold him again. Jeremy was an awesome photographer though and took TONS of great pictures for me and kept coming over to show them to me. What a great husband! Such a proud daddy too. He kept saying "I know I slacked with the pictures and Kasen's birth, so I'm not going to do that again" He took over 100 pictures that day!

I am so grateful and blessed to have my little Quinn here with us. To have him as part of our family. I am so grateful that Jeremy and I are able to raise him and take care of him. I know that I owe all my thanks to my Heavenly Father. Without Him, my little man wouldn't be here.



With all that being said...I can't believe a week has gone by ALREADY!
At this point Quinn is:

*Sleeping like a champ. I have to wake him to feed him every 3 hours.
*Eating fairly well too. He nurses a LOT better than Kasen ever did and for that I am grateful. (helps that he was full term and not a preemie like Kasen)
*Pooping and Peeing ALL the time. Or so Kasen thinks. :)
*Giving sweet heart melting smiles in his sleep
*Passing lots of gas. He really is a Campbell.
I can't believe he is mine! All mine. I'm in love.

Kasen is being very helpful. He loves his brother to death. I haven't seen as much jealousy as I was worried about. Not yet anyway. He gives him kisses every night before he goes to bed, along with telling him he loves him. He rubs his head when he cries and makes sure he always has his bear with him when we leave the house. (It just sits on the top of his car seat, but thats ok with Kasen). He brings me diapers, helps pick out this clothes and even puts his paci in when he "thinks" he needs it.

I am so grateful for my 2 boys. They are my blessings and miracles.

As for daddy...

He has been NOTHING but attentive to me. He has helped way more than I could have ever imagined. He is amazing. For the first 5 days I didn't change a single diaper. NOT ONE! He was the only one changing him. Every single diaper. Getting me whatever I needed, waking up with me at night when I fed Quinn. He has done so much. He deserves Father of the Year award as far as I'm concerned. He hasn't judged me when I cry for no reason, he hasn't shunned me when I was grumpy for no reason, he hasn't told me NO when I ask him for things repeatedly. He is just the best.

Thank you babe for all you have done for me and our little family. We are forever grateful. We love you so much and count down the hours til you get home from work and we can all be together again. Our sweet family of 4.

10 comments:

The Mathews Family said...

Oh Brit... that made me cry! I'm SOOOOO happy for you guys. What a journey you've been through to get this beautiful family of yours. I'm sending a big ol' HUG------------->

He's adorable- gorgeous, even. I think he's going to be a blondie!! ;0)

SeeCampbell said...

Okay, so now I don't need to call you and get the delivery scoop! Just Kidding! Your induction story sounds a lot like mine with Dawson! Cervidil is EVIL!!!!! But look, you have a beautiful baby boy and have probably forgotten all about the delivery nightmare, right? Congratulations to you and Jeremy. We are so very happy for you!!!!!!

Mrs.EBG said...

I am so excited for you and your sweet family, Britty. I love you and am so happy your little miracle is here. I can't wait to see him tomorrow!!

PS What really gave me a heart attack was hearing you have a contraction... I peed my pants when you told me to hurry! lol

With love by Mi said...

Congratulations Quinn is so precious! I love the picture of the the 4 of you...what a beautiful family!

Amanda said...

Congratulations!!!! I was given staydol with Shane and I had the same reaction. I hated it. I wish I could have warned you, but when you're in pain like that, any relief sounds good at the time, right?

Unknown said...

congrates. that is so exciting! I am sure you are in heaven with you sweet bundle of joy!

Katie said...

yeah congratulations!!! I loved hearing the whole story too! I had a c-section so it was SO different. I'm glad all is well!

Alison B said...

i want to cry right now. that was so sweet. I'm so proud of you and so happy for you. I just can't wait to meet this little man!!! Also, I"m so proud of Jeremy. THat is awesome!!! Good luck to you all and can't wait to see more pictures.

It was so good to talk to you last night. I really wish we lived closer. Love ya lots!

Edeninc said...

Congratulations Brit! I'm so excited for you and Jeremy. And Kasen gets to be a Big brother, that's the coolest part!

dancingmelissa said...

Cool! That sounds sooo great. I am sooo happy for you! I can't wait to give birth myself. It's so cool you can enjoy your little bundle of cuteness now. Take care of yourself!