Saturday, April 12, 2008

Here you go Ljo!

This isn't meant to make you feel better, only to let you know there are others who have experienced what you have.

At the San Diego Temple a couple weeks ago in the bathroom with my friend Autumn.

I was standing at the mirror in my temple dress pulling my hair back. My arms were up in the air putting my hair in a pony tail. And this is how it happened:

Ignorant lady walks in (in her early 60's I would assume)

Ignorant Lady: Aww! I see you are expecting another little one, huh?

Britt: (I look in the mirror behind me to make sure I am the one she is talking to..yep the only one around) Actually, no I am not.

Ignorant Lady: Oh Susan! Why do you say things like that? Foot in mouth. Foot in mouth!

Britt: (awkwardly giggles) Well this is a maternity dress, I got it when I was pregnant with my son (mind you Kasen is 3.5 years old now)

Ignorant Lady: Oh, so your son must not be old enough for you to have lost all your baby weight yet, am I at least right on that one?

Britt: (holding back all agression seeing as how I am in the temple) No, actually my son is 3. I've had plenty of time to lose the weight.

Ignorant Lady: (feeling flat out ridiculous at this point, I would hope) Well I'm still trying to work off some weight. I've got babies that are your age.

Britt: Oh ok. (at this point I am raging and needing to leave, my friend Autumn is snickering in the stall next to me.)

How can people put their foot in their mouth SO far? How does it fit? I am over it, but really? I agree, don't ask unless you feel my baby kicking! Don't ask unless you see me bent over in pain groaning about how the baby is coming. Some people!

5 comments:

Lyndsay said...

Brittany, I'm honored. And to think I contemplated suffering in silence.
This is one of the more egregious examples that I've heard--there were many times during this story that I thought "if you just stop talking, maybe it'll be okay," but she kept on going! Wow!
It sounds like we're both in good company. Perhaps we can change the world by gently showing the offenders that you should assume someone isn't pregnant unless you hear (from their very own mouth) otherwise.
Thanks for sharing! It DOES make me feel better!

Bridget said...

WoW! I would have FREAKED out! I know someone like that! I remember after I had Karson. The lady we rented from came up to me like two different times, and said, "I just couldn't believe how FAT you got" It took alot to hold myself back, but i was screaming inside! The nerve of some people!

Alison B said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!! Why are some people sooooooooooooooooo stupid?? I would have freaked out and then cried. how annoying. You know, you expect men to be more ignorant about a topic like this, but you'd think women would be a little more sensitive. I'm so sorry, Britt. Annoying.

Kendyl said...

What a stupid lady, sounds like you should have shoved YOUR foot in her mouth!

Melanie said...

Wow!......I mean Wow! What was she thinking? I can say however that I have spent most of the last 5 years pregnant and so while I do get this comment a lot, they are more than likely right even if I am not showing yet. But hey, I think you look GREAT in the pictures you have posted so....I'm not sure how she could have even come to that conclusion. For all y'all out there. Just stop while you are ahead.